Monday 27 July 2015

Day 187

[from Devastation Online]

While in Arwing City, I stock up on some supplies: healing items to replenish my health, a couple of chocolate bars in case my SP runs low, and some more ammunition for my Enforcer 9mm sub-machine gun. I've never travelled east of Arwing before - at least, not since the invasion started - so I don't know what to expect once I set out. It's best to be prepared.

As I head east, towards the city limits, I pass into the industrial area. To my right, I notice a group of Reavers salvaging sheet metal from a disused factory. Even though their stated aim is to plunder as much of Earth's wealth as possible, we can't do anything about them. The PDF top brass have determined that it's best not to waste resources fighting them, not when we have the much bigger threat of the Devastators to deal with, so we've been ordered to just let the Reavers go about the business. The fact our hands are full with the Devastators are probably why the Reavers targeted us in the first place, come to think about it; they know we're too busy fighting this war to be able to stop them.

I ignore the Reavers, as per my orders, and continue on down the road. Soon I'm outside the city limits, and into the barren wastelands to the east. Before me, looming in the distance, is a large mountain range, which I will have to cross in order to get to St. Leonard. There is a clear path through the mountains, however, so the journey will not be as arduous as it sounds.

After a few minutes, I hear an ominous buzzing sound, which can only mean one thing: an incoming Devastator drone. These smaller, flying Devastators were the first to make the hyperjump to Earth, and they've since swarmed across much of the region, scouting out the lands. They're weak in comparison to the other Devastator types, but are very fast and still highly dangerous. I quickly draw my SMG, eyes peeled for the drone's distinctive circular metal body.

A sudden burst of flame to my right catches my attention, and I turn round to find that another PDF recruit is engaging not one, but two Devastator drones. One appears to be a standard T-Class Devastator - the drones' formal designation - while the other is a TP-Class, equipped with a flamethrower. The burst of flame I saw came from the TP-Class, but it looks like the other recruit managed to dodge it just fine.

I quickly rush to the aid of my fellow soldier. It's only right that I help them out. "Are you alright?" I ask them.

The solder nods, accepting my help. "Yeah, I'm fine," he says. "Could use a little help, though."

"Happy to oblige," I say, aiming my gun. The T-Class Devastators are about two feet in diameter, with circular bodies and a single red eye. There's a small gap in the centre of their bodies, from which protrudes a four-foot-wide, five-bladed fan that spins at extremely high speed, somehow providing their propulsion. The way this system works has never quite been deciphered. The spinning blades can also be used as a deadly melee weapon, slicing through anything in the drones' way, and we'll have to be careful not to get too close.

I quickly start firing at the machines, using short quick bursts of fire in order to conserve my ammunition and minimize recoil. I can only get two or three bursts in before the T-Class charges at me, and I have to duck out of the way to avoid its deadly blades. The TP-Class fires another burst of flame at my fellow fighter, but he activates a Special and raises a magical barrier to protect himself. It seems as though he prefers battling with magic to battling with weapons, for instead of using the Defender handgun holstered at his hip, he instead unleashes a powerful lightning attack at the TP-Class, striking it directly and sending sparks flying. The machine is not disabled, however, and the fight continues.

I continue to fire at the T-Class, dodging its attempts to strike me with its blades. Finally, it resorts to laying down a smokescreen, obscuring our vision in a thick haze. I fire blindly into the darkness and, upon hearing my bullet strike metal, hastily unload my whole clip in that direction, no longer worried about accuracy. I do not stop firing until I hear a satisfying boom as one of the machines is destroyed, unable to withstand my sustained fire.

As the haze begins to subside, a burst of flame suddenly erupts through the darkness and strikes me before I can dodge it, knocking me over. It seems that the TP-Class still lives. As I get to my feet, my comrade unleashes another lightning attack in the direction that the flames had come from, and is met in turn with a hail of gunfire from the TP-Class' machine gun. He weathers the attack though, and as the haze disappears completely, we quickly team up to finish off the TP-Class. Just as I run out of bullets in my magazine, the drone explodes in a satisfying shower of sparks, its remains falling harmlessly to the floor.

"Thanks for the help, man," says my fellow comrade. "I'm not sure I could've handled that on my own."

"No problem," I say, as I load another magazine into my Defender. "You alright?"

"Nothing major," he says, rooting around in his backpack. "Just need a Potion and I'll be right as rain." Pulling one out, he quickly consumes it and tosses away the empty bottle. "Ah, that's better. Say, which way are you heading? Maybe we could team up for a bit. You're pretty good."

"I'm headed to St. Leonard, to ATRAC," I explain. "I have an important discovery to tell them about."

"Ah. Well, I'm headed back to Arwing, so I guess I'll see you around," he says.


We exchange contact details, then goodbyes, and then go our separate ways. My brother-in-arms heads back the way I had come, towards Arwing, while I continue onwards towards St. Leonard, keeping a sharp eye out for any more T-Class Devastators that might try and attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment