Thursday 9 July 2015

Day 169

[from Ichinichi]

After first period, Akiko took advantage of the brief break between lessons in order to go to the bathroom. As she exited the stall and headed over towards the sink, her best friend Haruka also entered the bathroom. Being her best friend, Haruka was the only other person who knew of her plan to confess to Takeru that night, and so somehow Akiko doubted that she was just there to use the toilet.

Sure enough, Haruka immediately went over to join Akiko at the sink. "You ready for tonight, then?" she asked.

"I think so," said Akiko, as she started to wash her hands.

"Feeling nervous?" asked Haruka.

"Of course I am," said Akiko. "But I guess… whatever happens tonight, at least I'll know for sure how he really feels about me. I mean, the worst thing that can happen is that he turns me down, and we remain friends, right? So… I might be nervous about it, but I still want to do it."

"That's good," said Haruka. "If you back out now, you'll regret it later. Have you picked out a nice spot to watch the fireworks yet?"

"Not yet," said Akiko. "I was planning on trying to find one during the festival itself, but maybe that's not a good idea…"

"Yeah, if you're not fast enough, all the good spots will be taken," said Haruka. "Hang on, give me a minute." She pulled out her cellphone and began to write a text. "I know someone from Soccer Club who helps run a festival stall with her father. She knows the layout of the whole festival area, maybe she'll know where the best spots are to watch the fireworks."

As Haruka waited for a response, Akiko turned the tap off and started to dry her hands. She had already finished and picked up her bag by the time the response came through. "Ah, here we go," said Haruka. "Apparently, if you turn left at the mask stall, there's a little uphill trail. Head all the way up, and then at the top you'll have a nice clear view of the fireworks, and the festival below, and the town beyond. Sounds pretty good to me."

"Left at the mask stall, you say?" repeated Akiko. "Alright, thanks, Haruka. That's a real help."

"No problem," said Haruka. "And remember, you'll want to time it just right. Too early, and you won't get as much time to enjoy the festival itself. Too late, and you'll miss the start of the fireworks. The fireworks are scheduled for 8:30, so I'd say you'll want to make sure you get there before then." Haruka gave Akiko a warm, friendly smile. "I hope everything goes well for you tonight."

"Thanks," said Akiko. "So do I."

"We'd better get back to class now," said Haruka, "I think the bell's about to-" Sure enough, before Haruka could even finish her sentence, the bell sounded to signal the end of break. Akiko giggled, and Haruka herself couldn't help smiling. "Talk about perfect timing," she remarked. "Come on, let's head back. We don't wanna be late."


Akiko nodded, and the two girls started making their way back towards the classroom. Akiko made sure to commit to memory the directions that she had been given, as they were an integral part of her plan. I really hope everything goes well, she thought.

2 comments:

  1. For the record, I'd like to note the author's words about this one, notably "disappointing short". I'll grant only half of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short, but not disappointing? Fair enough then.

      Delete