Tuesday 14 July 2015

Day 174

[from Project Sky]

I appear to have encountered a heavy storm, hampering my progress north. Pegasi do not fly well during stormy conditions, and at this altitude, the low clouds can severely hamper one's visibility. The moment the storm starts to set in, I begin to seek refuge, heading for the nearest colony I can find. Fortunately, there is one not too far to the east, and I cling tightly to the reins of my pegasus as I gently guide it in that direction. The rain is already pouring down heavily, and a pegasus' mane and feathers are very slippery when wet. The last thing I want, after all this time and effort, is to simply slide off my pegasus' back and fall to my inevitable demise.

It's only a matter of minutes before I reach the colony, and instead of trying to find a good spot to land, I simply descend as quickly as I dare, landing on the very outskirts. It seems like a fairly large town, perhaps not as large as Harford, but still of an impressive size. The roads are made of cobbled stone, but the houses, at least in this part of town, appear to be made of wood, just as the ones in my home village were.

As I slide off my pegasus' back and step down onto the cobbled street, I'm already soaked through. I need to find shelter quickly, or else I might catch an illness, and that would delay me even further. A bright flash grabs my attention as a bolt of lightning streaks through the sky just to my right, followed a couple of seconds later by a rumble of thunder. The centre of the storm is still some distance away, then.

I ponder whether I should knock on the door of one of the houses nearby and ask for some temporary shelter from the storm, or whether I should walk further into town in search of an inn. However, the dilemma is quickly solved for me, as I hear a shout coming from my left: "Hey! Get inside! You'll catch your death out here!" Looking round, I see a man standing at the doorway of his house, holding the door open and frantically gesturing for me to enter. I quickly hurry over, tying my pegasus' reins to the wooden fence before heading inside the house.

It's pleasantly warm inside the house, and there's a nice fire burning in the hearth. Almost immediately I let out a sigh of relief, as I'm finally given respite from the cold rain. I thank the man for letting me shelter in his house. "No problem," he says. "What were you doing out there, anyway? You only just arrive here?" I nod, and tell him how the storm had interrupted my flight north. "Ah, I see," he says. "So you're stuck here waiting until the storm clears, huh? Well, now that you're here, you might as well stay the night. I don't think this storm is gonna let up until tomorrow. You can sleep in the spare bedroom, but first you should probably dry yourself off in front of the fire. You're soaked through."

I nod, and thank the man for his hospitality. He simply waves it off before heading upstairs, presumably to prepare the spare room for me. In the meantime, I kneel down in front of the fire and start to warm myself up. The heat from the flames gradually seeps into my body, and I can feel my clothes and body drying off nicely. It might take a little while before I'm completely dry, however.


Glancing out of the window, I can't help feeling a little sorry for my trusty steed, stuck outside in the pouring rain. However, it can't be helped; there was no available shelter for it in the vicinity, and I couldn't very well bring it inside with me. Pegasi are hardy creatures, so I'm sure that now it's back on the ground, it'll make it through this storm without a problem. The weather will have cleared up by tomorrow, and I can I can be on my way once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment