Wednesday 7 January 2015

Day 7

[from Vanishing Point]

"I'll go first! I'll go first!"

Kiyoko, Kamui, Hanako and Cobra were gathered round the table, playing 20 Questions. Scattered on the table were a number of face-down sticky notes, each with a person or object written on it. Hanako selected one at random and stuck it to her forehead for everyone to see. "Okay...am I a male?"

"No."

"So I'm a female?"

"No."

This threw Hanako for a loop. "Asexual?" she asked, confused.

"That's a sexuality, not a gender," Cobra pointed out.

"Technically, though," admitted Kamui, "you would be asexual as well, I guess."

"Do I not have a gender?" asked Hanako.

"No, you don't," said Kamui.

"Okay..." Hanako thought for a moment. "Am I an object?"

"Yes."

"Can I fit in someone's hand?"

This question seemed to be amusing for some reason. "No," said Kamui, smirking.

"Can...people fit inside me?"

"Yes."

"Am I a car?"

"No."

"A train?"

"No."

"A plane?"

"No."

"A boat?"

"You're not a mode of transport," said Cobra, slightly irritated.

"Although you do move," added Kamui.

"I-I thought we were only supposed to say yes or no..." said Kiyoko, timidly raising a hand.

"You're not helping, guys!" Hanako complained. "Wait, how can I move and fit people inside me but not be a mode of transport? That doesn't make sense!"

"I'm not answering that," said Kamui. "And Kiyoko, you have a point. From now on, we're only answering yes or no."

"That's not going to help either!" moaned Hanako. "Ohh...am I a mobile home?"

"No."

Hanako pouted in frustration. "Oh, I give up!" she said finally.

Kamui accepted her surrender with a nod. "Okay. Who wants to go next?"

Before anyone could answer, Hanako, who had removed the sticky note and was now looking at it rather indignantly, exclaimed, "Who put 'International Space Station'?!!"

"That was me," said Kamui.

"How was I supposed to get that?" asked Hanako.

"You could have asked, maybe, "Am I found on Earth?", to which I would have answered, "No"," said Kamui. "That would have been a big clue."

"But you said it moves, and the International Space Station doesn't move, does it?"

"It moves a lot," said Kamui. "It orbits the Earth 18 times a day, and slowly falls back toward Earth at 2 kilometres a month."

"Well, I didn't know that!" exclaimed Hanako.

"Anyway," said Kamui decisively, "now that we've cleared that up, who wants to go next?"

"I'll go next," said Cobra. She picked up another of the sticky notes and stuck it to her forehead. "Okay…am I a woman?"

"Yes."

"Am I Japanese?"

"Yes."

"Am I in this room?"

"No."

Cobra glanced at Hanako's slightly eager face and rolled her eyes. "Am I Mizuki Sato?"

"Yes," said Kamui.


"I hate this game," said Hanako.

No comments:

Post a Comment