Sunday 11 January 2015

Day 11

[from The Ballad of Conor Stewart]

"I might as well start right at the beginning; 1987, my first year in F1. '85 and '86, I took part in Formula 3000, and had a few races in the Japanese Formula Two as well. I managed to win a couple of races, get some good results, and got to know a few of the guys I'd be racing against over the next few years. Tell you what - Satoru Nakajima, nicest bloke you'll ever meet. Think he made his F1 debut in '87 as well, actually…Lotus, I think. My start wasn't quite that glamorous.

Now, this was back in the era of turbo cars. Right at the end, sure - '88 was the last year they had them - but still the turbo era. To tell you the truth, I dunno whether to be pleased or pissed that I never got to race one. When I was at Ferrari they let me have a go in an old one, and let me tell you, it was one of the most fucking terrifying things I've ever done. Amazing, but…utterly fucking terrifying. It's not so much the speed, or the noise, or the power; I've driven faster cars, and I'm used to the noise. But the turbo lag on those things was horrendous; you put your foot down, you get the first couple of hundred horsepower, then two or three seconds later, WHAM!  In comes the whole one-thousand horsepower in one whack, and if you're not expecting it, you're in the barrier before you can say "red flag". I imagine in the rain it would've been even worse. So, uhh, anyway…where was I?"

"I believe you were talking about your debut in '87," said Saarinen.

"Ah, right, yeah. Well, my break in F1 came towards the end of '86. With the turbos being phased out, racing in F1 looked more lucrative, so before long, guys with more money than sense were queuing up to start their own teams. You had all kinds of failures: Onyx, Coloni, Life, Andrea Moda…hah! I'll have to tell you guys about some of them, their stories are bloody hilarious."

"Weren't Andrea Moda the ones who got kicked out for bringing the sport into disrepute?" asked Brooke.

"Pretty much, yeah," said Conor, trying not to laugh. "But enough about them. Right now I'm gonna tell you all about Hildebrand. David F. Hildebrand, their founder, was one of those guys with more money than he knew what to do with. He'd made his fortune over in America, selling auto parts, and maybe he thought having his own team would attract more business or something, I dunno, but anyway, in '86 he set about creating his own F1 team, and got accepted to the grid for '87. By the time he came to me, around September, he had the car, the engines, the facilities, the personnel…everything but the most important bit. Two drivers. 'Coz without two good drivers, doesn't matter how good your car is, you're gonna do badly.

So anyway, I was at a Japanese F2 race over in Suzuka - came either third or fourth, can't remember - and when I got back to the pits after the race there was this guy I didn't recognize chatting to the mechanics. He was a big guy, David; stocky, I think's the word. Shaved head, white shirt, wore sunglasses all the time even when it wasn't sunny. Bet he wore 'em in bed as well. I came over, and the guys introduced me to him; they said, Conor, this is David Hildebrand, he'd like to talk to you about a potential F1 drive. I asked him what team; he said his team, Hildebrand, I said I'd never heard of 'em; he said, not yet you haven't, we're a new entry for next year. Didn't exactly fill me with confidence, but I was willing to hear him out. An F1 seat's an F1 seat.

We discussed it, and I thought about it a little. On the one hand, it didn't sound too promising. This was a brand new team, with no pedigree, no heritage. I could be walking into a catastrophe for all I knew. The car was gonna use naturally-aspirated Ford engines; remember, the turbos were still around back then. Almost everyone else had 'em. The car wasn't gonna do very well. But on the other hand, like I said, an F1 seat's an F1 seat. As long I didn't make a complete tit of myself, I'd get myself noticed, not just by the teams, but by potential sponsors. I said this already, and I'll keep saying it: this sport is all about the money. Even now, even if you're the next Ayrton Senna, if you can't bring money to a team then you can forget about driving for them."

"That's stupid," said Cervantes.

"Yeah, I know," admitted Conor, "but that's the way it is, sadly. So anyway, maybe I wasn't gonna be winning races at Hildebrand, but it was still a good opportunity to get a foothold in the sport. So I said, look, I'll think it over and get back to you. He gave me his number, and that was that for a little while.

Over the next month, I consulted with just about everyone I could think of. My family, my friends, my team, my fellow drivers. Pretty much every single one of 'em said, go for it. It's a fantastic opportunity, it might only come once, and all the rest of it. It didn't look like I was gonna get a better drive anywhere else, so come mid-October, I called Hildebrand up and asked if he still had the seat free. It's yours if you want it, he said. So I said, I'm in. And just like that, I had my first F1 drive. A couple of weeks later I flew over to their factory in Austin - stupid place to base an F1 team, but whatever - and I had my seat fitted. By the new year, my team-mate had been decided - Allen Berg, the Canadian, who'd raced for Osella the previous year - and we'd started testing. I have to admit, I was looking forward to the start of the season. Formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, the thing I'd been dreaming about since I was a kid, and I was finally gonna be there, competing. I think even Saarinen would've been excited."

Conor broke off as he and the others chuckled silently at the joke. Even Saarinen cracked a little smile. "But anyway, that's how I got into the sport," said Conor. "Do well next session, and I'll tell you all how my first season went."

"You mean that's it?" said Dijkstra.

"For now, yeah," said Conor. "It's getting late. Alright, let's tidy up a bit here and then head home."

While Dijkstra, Cervantes and Saarinen headed off to change out of their racing overalls, Brooke helped her father put the dust cover back on the old Ferrari. "You know," said Brooke, "I'm surprised you haven't told me all these stories before."

"You never asked to hear them," Conor replied, "so I thought you weren't interested."

"Of course I'm interested," said Brooke. "I wanna follow in your footsteps, don't I?"

"Well then, you've have to try harder in training," said Conor, "and then you can follow in my footsteps and hear my stories. Sound like a good deal?"

Brooke nodded. "Yup."


"Alright," said Conor, "let's go get changed."

No comments:

Post a Comment