Sunday 23 August 2015

Day 214

[from Electron]

Electron landed neatly in Coolidge Avenue and started frantically searching for house number 156. Even though he knew there was no way the Iron Maiden could have gotten there before him, he still couldn't help panicking that he might be too late. His relief upon seeing the front door and windows still intact was immeasurable.

After taking a moment to catch his breath, Electron headed up the cobbled driveway and pounded on the door. "Mr. Smith?" he called out. "This is Electron. Your life is in urgent danger. I need to speak with you right now."

When the door opened, it was not Andy Smith who answered, though nor - thankfully - was it the Iron Maiden. Instead it was a woman, presumably Andy's wife. She opened the door slowly, looking at Electron with a mixture of concern, confusion, and sorrow. "Is your husband home?" asked Electron.

Mrs. Smith shook her head. "No," she said. "When we heard about Kevin, he panicked, and said he needed to go into hiding. He said she'd be coming after him next. He didn't tell me where he went. It's true, isn't it?" she added. "That masked woman's going after him-"

"She will be," said Electron. "His friend Matt's already dead. I need to find him before she does. Do you have any idea where he could have gone to?"

Mrs. Smith shook her head. "N-no, I don't know," she said. "I… he could be anywhere-"

Electron persisted, keeping calm and composed despite the pressure. "Try to think of a place where your husband would feel safe," he said. "Can you think of anywhere like that?"

"Uhh…" Mrs. Smith thought for a moment, looking increasingly agitated, then snapped her fingers. "The old shooting range!" she exclaimed. "There's this… outdoor shooting range, to the north, outside of town. It closed down a couple of years ago, but my husband and his friends go up there every so often to let off a few rounds… the targets are still there, and my husband owns a gun, he probably took it with him… I think he's going to shoot her when she shows up-"

"Then that makes two people I have to stop," said Electron, letting out a small sigh. "Right, I got it. The old shooting range. I'll go look for him. Thank you for your help."

Electron started to turn away, but Mrs. Smith seized his arm, pulling him back round to face her. There was a growing look of dread on her face. "Why is this woman after him?" she asked.

Electron fell silent for a moment, unsure what to tell the woman. Should he tell her that her husband and his friends were all murderers? Somehow, he felt that he could not bring himself to do so. "I'm not sure you want to know," he said.

Mrs. Smith did not release Electron's arm; in fact, her grip tightened, her fear-widened eyes pleading up at him. "Electron," she said, her voice quiet and wavering, "what did my husband do?"

Suddenly, Electron realized that she was not just dreading what might happen to her husband: she was dreading the truth. As hard as it may have been for her to accept at first, she knew that her husband and his friends had done something terrible to this woman, and now she wanted to hear it for herself. With a heavy sigh, he looked Mrs. Smith deep in the eyes. "Your husband, and his friends… they killed a man," said Electron. "Now his wife is hunting them down, out of revenge. I couldn't stop her from killing the other three, but now that I'm one step ahead of her, I promise I will save your husband."

Mrs. Smith brought a hand up to her mouth in shock, her face turning pale as the revelation sank in. She staggered back a few paces, her other hand straying to her chest, then nodded as though in acknowledgement. Her lips began to move, and she muttered something under her breath that Electron could barely hear: "I… I never thought he would go this far… I know when he hits me, it's because I've done something wrong, but this man, he didn't do anything, he-" Mrs. Smith froze suddenly, as another thought occurred to her. Maybe I didn't do anything wrong. Maybe it's been him all these years, and I just didn't realize it until now. All this time… Slowly, the fear and sorrow she felt for her husband ebbed away, replaced by torrents of repressed pain, regret, and anger.

Though Electron could not see the maelstrom of emotions swirling inside her, he could tell that Mrs. Smith needed some time to herself, to process everything. "I think I'll leave you alone for now," he said. "I have to go save your husband, after all."

As Electron turned to go once more, Mrs. Smith suddenly shook her head, this time with a new-found ferocity. "Don't bother," she said. "If they… if they really killed that man… then he deserves to rot like the rest of them."

Electron turned back, shaking his own head. "He deserves to answer for his crimes," said Electron. "He deserves to face justice. Just not the kind of justice that woman's dishing out." Electron turned to go once more, and this time Mrs. Smith did not try to stop him. "I'm really sorry," Electron said finally. "I really am." With that, he took off into the sky, heading north.

"Martin," he said, activating his radio. "Andy wasn't at his house; he got spooked and ran to a disused shooting range north of town. I'm gonna head there now, see if I can convince him to turn himself in. That oughta put a stop to Jasmine's rampage."

"Alright, good job, man," said Martin. "And if you could apprehend her while you're at it, that'd be great."

"I'll do my best," said Electron. "The police are still out combing the city for her, right?"

"Yeah, but they ain't found her yet," said Martin. "Let's hope they do. In the meantime, you get to Andy."

"Will do," said Electron. "Oh, and could you send a police unit over to his house, please? I think his wife might have a few things to say."

"I'm on it," said Martin.

It was at this point that something occurred to Electron. "Actually… don't," he said. "Don't send a police unit there. At least, not yet. I've got an idea."

"Why do I get the feeling I'm not gonna like the sound of this?" asked Martin.

***

It was not long before the sudden smash of a window heralded the Iron Maiden's arrival at Andy's house. Mrs. Smith was sitting in the living room as though waiting for her, her head bowed and her face pale as she continued to digest the horrible truths she had just learned. "Your husband," said the Iron Maiden. "Where is he?"

Mrs. Smith looked up, her expression strangely calm. "He's at the disused shooting range, north of town," she said. "It won't be that hard for you to find."

The Iron Maiden nodded, appreciative of the help, and also pleasant surprised. "Thank you," she said, before adding, "You understand, don’t you? Why I have to do this."


Mrs. Smith nodded in reply. "I do," she said. "I just wish I could have done it sooner."

No comments:

Post a Comment