Friday 14 August 2015

Day 205

[from Pokémon: Shattered Crystal]

The man who answers the door is a middle-aged man with grey hair, a bushy grey moustache, and a trilby hat. "Ah, hello!" he says. "You must be Ryan. Professor Elm said you'd be coming over. Please, do come in."

Mr. Pokémon opens the door wide for me, and I follow him inside. The house is rather messy inside, with a few machines scattered around, as well as large bookshelves filled with encyclopaedic volumes about Pokémon. There's another middle-aged man sat at the table, but I pay him no attention for the moment, my mind focused on Elm's errand. "So, what's this big discovery?" I ask Mr. Pokemon.

Mr. Pokémon takes something from off the table and shows it to me. "This!" he proclaims. "This is what I want Professor Elm to examine." Looking at it, it appears to be some kind of egg. It's a creamy white colour, with strange red and blue shapes all over it. I've never seen anything like it before.

"I know a couple who run a Pokémon day-care service out on Route 34," says Mr. Pokémon. "They gave me that egg. Apparently, they don't know where it came from, and they've never seen anything like it. I was intrigued by it, so I sent an e-mail to Professor Elm. After all, he's the leading authority on Pokémon evolution. Even Professor Oak here recognizes that."

Mr. Pokémon gestures at the man sitting at the table, and suddenly I recognize him. Professor Samuel Oak is one of the most famous Pokémon researchers in Kanto and Johto; he even has his own radio show. "Hello, Ryan," he says, waving at me. "I was just here on a visit; Mr. Pokémon's an old friend of mine."

"Hello," I say, smiling warmly at him.

"I hear you're running an errand for Professor Elm," he continues. "Is that the Pokémon he gave you?" He points to Firebrand.

I nod. "This is Firebrand," I tell him."

"That's a good name," says Professor Oak. "That's a pretty rare Pokémon, too. Professor Elm must think you have good potential as a trainer, to give you a Pokémon like that. Hmm…" He leans forward, as though examining Cyndaquil carefully, then straightens up, seemingly pleased. "Yes, I'd say he was right. Like all good Pokémon trainers - and like myself and Professor Elm - you clearly understand that Pokémon are our friends, not just tools. He must have seen that you would treat your Pokémon with love and kindness."

"I certainly do," I say, picking Firebrand up and gently cuddling him. "Firebrand has been a good friend to me so far." He's warm to cuddle, too.

After a moment, Professor Oak seems to have a brainwave. "Ah!" he says. "Since you seem to be dependable, Ryan, how would you like to help me out?" He reaches into his lab coat and pulls out a strange red clamshell device. "Here," he says. "This is the latest version of my Pokédex. It automatically records data on Pokémon you've seen or caught, like a high-tech encyclopaedia. I'd like you to have it. Go and meet as many kinds of Pokémon as you can, and record their data in that Pokédex for me. The information will be invaluable for my research. If you can, try and complete it!"

I take the Pokédex, then hesitate. "Are you sure you want me to have this?" I ask.

Professor Oak nods. "I'm sure. I have faith in you, Ryan. Oh, but I've stayed too long," he adds suddenly, getting up from his seat. "I have to get to Goldenrod for my usual radio show. Ryan, I'm counting on you!" With a parting wave, Professor Oak departs.

"That's a big responsibility you've been given there, Ryan," says Mr. Pokémon. "Professor Oak doesn't just hand out Pokédexes willy-nilly, you know."

"I guessed," I say. "But I'm not sure about this."

"Professor Oak is," said Mr. Pokémon. "And trust me, he knows a good trainer when he sees one. But anyway, back to the topic at hand. If my assumption is correct, Professor Elm will know what this egg is. Could you take it to him?"

My confidence returns a little. "Now that I know I can do." I take off my backpack, open the main compartment, and carefully fit the egg inside. It's nice and snug in there, and hopefully it won't crack.

"While you're here," says Mr. Pokémon, "your Pokémon should have some rest." He indicates a machine in the corner that looks similar to the one at the Pokémon Centre.

"Good idea," I say. I quickly heal Firebrand, then head off on my way.

"Good luck, Ryan!" says Mr. Pokémon as I leave. "I'm depending on you!"

I've only taken about half-a-dozen steps away from the house before my Pokégear rings, signalling an incoming call. The caller ID is Professor Elm. I swiftly answer. "Hey," I say, "I just got back from-"

"Ryan, it's a disaster!" Professor Elm cuts me off, his voice frantic and panicked. "Something terrible has happened at the lab! What should I do… oh God, I… uhh… please! You have to get back here right away! I'll explain more when you get here!"

"Wait!" I say. "Professor, what are you-" But it's too late. Professor Elm hangs up, and I'm left staring at my Pokégear in disbelief. I don't know what could have happened back at Elm's lab, but whatever it is, it's not good. I hurry back down Route 30, dashing through the grass with Firebrand at my side. Mercifully, our only opposition is a lone Pidgey, which Firebrand easily Tackles aside. Soon, we're back in Cherrygrove.

As I approach the entrance to Route 29, however, I spot a familiar face dashing towards me. It's the young man I saw outside Professor Elm's lab earlier that day. Upon seeing me, he cuts me off, staring me down in silence for a few moments. Then, he looks at Firebrand. "So, you got a Pokémon from the lab," he says finally. "What a waste. A wimp like you doesn't deserve a Pokémon like that. I, however…" He plucks a Poké Ball from his belt, and slowly the dots begin to connect in my mind. "I also have a strong Pokémon. Allow me to show you."

With a confident smile bordering on smugness, the man throws his Poké Ball. "Go, Totodile!" he yells. Totodile bursts out of its Poké Ball, its two small fangs gleaming dangerously as it zeroes in on Firebrand. Clearly the man's intent is to battle me, and although I've never battled another trainer before, I seem to have no choice but to comply. Firebrand is at a type disadvantage, but if my theory is correct, then he will also have more battle experience, and therefore be stronger. I guess we'll find out very shortly.

Firebrand swiftly launches into a Tackle, damaging Totodile and dodging its retaliatory strike. Another Tackle, but this time Totodile manages to rake across Firebrand's side with its claws, sending him skidding away. I'm not worried, though, as it seems like I was right: Firebrand is the strongest of the two by far. Two more exchanges of blows later, and Totodile is limping and badly hurt, while Firebrand has little more than scratches.

 Two more Tackles without reply, and Totodile collapses to the ground, unconscious. I could easily have Firebrand finish it off, but I'm not that kind of person, so instead I recall him back to his Poké Ball, confident that I've proven myself to the man.

With a sneer, the man recalls his unconscious Totodile."Hmph. Are you happy you won? Good. Enjoy victory while you can."

I take the opportunity to ask the obvious question. "Who are you?"


The man is once again silent for a moment, staring me down before answering. "My name is Silva," he says finally. "I'm going to the world's strongest Pokémon trainer, and I'm not going to let anyone get in my way, least of all a wimp like you." Angrily shoving me aside, Silva sprints off, presumably to the Pokémon Centre to heal his wounded Pokémon. I'm a little shaken by the whole encounter, but nonetheless, the victory has given me a little more confidence in my own ability as well as that of Firebrand. What's more, I may now have a clue as to what happened back at New Bark Town. I quickly enter Route 29, hurrying to get back to the professor's lab as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment