Thursday 6 August 2015

Day 197

[from I Watch You Sleeping]

As I enter the classroom, about four minutes late, Sasaki-sensei glares at me. "Sorry I'm late, Sasaki-sensei," I say quietly.

"I hope you at least have an excuse this time, Miyazaki," says Sasaki-sensei.

Well, technically I do have an excuse, but I can't use it. It would mean breaking my promise to Mizuki, and if she found out I'd ratted her out.. it wouldn't end well for me.

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: Here's how the scene plays out if you choose not to make an excuse…]

In the end, all I can do is heave a sigh. "…no excuse, Sasaki-sensei," I say.

"I hope you realize that lateness is unacceptable, Miyazaki," says Sasaki-sensei. "If you're late again this week, I'm afraid I'll have to put you in detention."

"Yes, Sasaki-sensei," I say. "Sorry, Sasaki-sensei."

Sasaki-sensei sighs. "Well, at least you are here, which is more than can be said for Asano. Sit down, Miyazaki."

I walk slowly to my seat, aware of everyone's eyes following me as I do so. This is so stupid. It's the stalker's fault I've been late these past few days, not mine. I suppose I should be thankful that the only thing they've wrecked so far is my punctuality, but if they really cared about me like they keep insisting they do, they wouldn't wreck anything of mine.

The moment I sit down, Raiden turns to me and whispers, "You okay, dude?"

"No, Raiden," I mutter back, folding my arms. "This just isn't fair."

"The stalker again?" Raiden guesses.

"Well… yes and no," I say. "She got me chasing shadows."

"I see," says Raiden. A moment later, he seems to have a brainwave, and glances over at Mizuki's empty seat. "That shadow wouldn't happen to be tall, dark, and tsundere, would it?" he asks.

"I can't say," I whisper with a shrug, "I'll get my face punched in."

"That's a yes, then," says Raiden. I think it says a lot about Mizuki's personality that he can tell just from that one vague statement. "Don't sweat it," he says. If she tries to hurt you - or the stalker, come to think of it - if either of them wanna hurt you, they'll have to go through me first."

"That'll be pretty easy," I quietly remark.

"You asshole," whispers Raiden.

Raiden chuckles and playfully punches me on the shoulder. I can't help chuckling as well. It's good that we have these exchanges: right now they're really helping me cope with all of this. I really don't know how I'd be coping right now without Raiden's support.

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: …and here's how the scene plays out if you make an excuse, and if you hadn't told Raiden about the stalker earlier]

 "Uhh… I got hit by a cyclist on my way to school." Come on, make it more believable than that, I think to myself. You don't look hurt at all. "I was fine, but they crashed their bike and got kinda hurt, so I made sure they were alright before I continued. That's why I'm late."

Sasaki-sensei puts on a perfect poker face, leaving me unable to tell whether she believes me or not. I'm sure if she had any reason to doubt it, though, she would have called me out on it immediately. "And were they alright?" she asks.

"Uhh… a few grazes, but nothing serious," I lie.

"Alright then," says Sasaki-sensei. "Sit down, Miyazaki."

Holy crap, I think she bought it. Relieved at having managed to talk my way out of danger, I gladly take my seat next to Raiden, who gives me a sly grin. "Man, I can't believe you managed to BS your way out of that one," he remarks.

"Me neither," I admit.

"But seriously," asks Raiden, "how come you're late again?"

"I can't say," I whisper with a shrug, "I'll get my face punched in."

"Mizuki?" asks Raiden. I think it says a lot about Mizuki's personality that he can tell just from that one vague statement. "What was she holding you up for? Oh, right, you-"

"can't say, or she's punch my face in," I finish. "Precisely."

Raiden is silent for a moment, thinking, than asks, "Did she try and rob you or something?"

I sigh and shake my head. "Raiden, even if she had, you know I couldn't tell you-"

But Raiden isn't going to give up so easily, and changes tack completely. "Was I right about her wanting your-"

"For the hundredth time, no,"  I hiss.

Raiden flinches backwards with feigned shock. "You're turning into her," he whispers. And before I can stop him, he raises his hand and calls out, "Sasaki-sensei! Asano-san's already here!", pointing to me as he does so.

Of course, nobody else heard out whispered exchange, which means that nobody else gets the joke. They do, however, find Raiden's utter stupidity absolutely hilarious. As the laughter subsides, Sasaki-sensei crosses the room, standing right beside my desk. She peers up and down at me, examining me from several angles, as though trying to determine whether I really am Mizuki in disguise. Then, to my absolute horror, she reaches out and gropes at my chest, right where my breasts would be if I were a girl.

"No, I'm pretty sure that's Miyazaki," says Sasaki-sensei, straightening up. "I think you need to get your eyes tested, Shiina."


Sasaki-sensei walks off again to another bout of laughter, leaving the two of us humiliated for the second time in as many days. Class can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment