Monday 7 September 2015

Day 229

[from Pokémon: Shattered Crystal]


The morning after arriving at Violet City, I head back out to Route 31 to get some much-needed training. I can't rely on just Firebrand to win the battle: I'll need Dusk, Banshee and Dizzy to do their best for me as well. I'll have to be careful while training them, though, as they're currently pretty weak, and if I push them too hard, it'll end in disaster.

Over the course of the training session, my Pokémon and I knock out some thirty wild Pokémon¹. Their unconscious bodies start to litter the area, and some even wake up only to be beaten back into submission. I feel kind of sorry for them all, being beaten so ruthlessly, but with no trainers in sight, it's the only way I can make my Pokémon stronger. I at least have the decency not to kill any of them. I don't want to get stronger at the cost of others' lives.

Early in my training, I'm interrupted by a phone call from Joey asking for a rematch. Eager to break up the monotony of training, I agree, and head back to Route 30 to face him. While my team has improved since our last meeting yesterday, his Rattata still seems to be at the same strength, and Dusk dispatches it in two hits without sustaining any damage in reply. With Joey defeated once more, I head off to resume my training.

In the end, the only major incident is when a Spinarak poisons both Dizzy and Dusk, and I'm forced to use up two of my Antidotes on them. Other than that, the training goes without a hitch. I make regular trips back to Violet City to heal my Pokémon at the Pokémon Centre, in order to conserve my Potions for the battle ahead. While this approach helps protect my Pokémon from danger, it also slows down my training somewhat, and it takes me a solid hour of training² before I feel that my entire team is ready to face the first Gym.

After healing my team once more at the Pokémon Centre, I head towards Violet City Gym in pursuit of my first Gym Badge. I'm quietly confident about my chances, but it seems that before I'm allowed to take on the Gym Leader himself, I must defeat two of his pupils. Undaunted, I prepare my strategy and then make my way inside.

The first trainer ambushes me soon after I make my way inside. "Let's see if you're good enough to face Falkner!" he says. "Go, Spearow!" The bird Pokémon bursts out of its Poké Ball, and I can tell at once that it's a more formidable opponent than any I've faced before now. Nonetheless, I send out Dizzy and put my plan into action.

"Dizzy," I call out, "use Hypnosis!" Dizzy promptly uses hypnotic suggestion to put the Spearow to sleep, and I take advantage of my foe's slumber to switch in Firebrand. Just as Firebrand charges in to land his first hit, however, Spearow wakes up and dishes out a hit of its own. This really is going to be a formidable fight.

Firebrand and the Spearow fight hard, matching each other blow-for-blow. Soon both Pokémon are limping, and I'm forced to use one of my precious Potions on Firebrand, just to pull him through. It works, and with one last blow, Firebrand knocks the Spearow out, and my first challenger is defeated. "Pathetic," he sneers. "Losing to a rookie trainer like you… you still don't stand a chance against Falkner!"

"We'll see about that," I retort, before making my way on to the second trainer.

This second trainer has two Pokémon, the first of which is a Pidgey. I put the same tactic into action, sending out Dizzy to send the Pidgey to sleep with Hypnosis before switching in Firebrand to deal the damage. It backfires again, however: Pidgey wakes up before Firebrand can land a blow, and doles out one of its own. Firebrand is still a little wounded from the last fight, and I'm forced to use a second Potion to pull him through. Re-energized, the Pidgey is defeated, and I sense Dizzy and Firebrand both grow stronger from their combat experience.

The second Pokémon turns out to be merely another Pidgey. With my strategy called into question, I keep Firebrand out and opt for all-out attack this time. It works: a powerful strike to Pidgey's weak spot cripples it, and a second blow is all it takes to finish it off. Now Falkner is the only one standing between me and the first Gym Bdge.

The second trainer takes defeat about as well as the first. "Don't get cocky just because you beat me, kid!" he says. "Falkner's skills are for real! He'll show you!" The trainers here really seem to believe in Falkner's skills. I'll just have to believe that my own skills are stronger.

Before facing Falkner, I head back out of the Gym and heal my Pokémon once more at the Pokémon Centre, before heading to the Poké Mart and buying some more supplies with the winnings I got from beating Falkner's students. You can’t be too careful. I can't imagine this Falkner will be as shy about hurting my Pokémon as I was about hurting the wild Pokémon in Route 31.

Heading back into the Violet Gym, I make my way toeards the back, where Falkner waits for me. He is a young man with blue hair that drapes over one eye, hiding it from view. The one visible eye is a steely grey-blue. I can expect no mercy from this man. Swallowing my nerves, I step forward to face him.

"Congratulations on making it this far," Falkner says, as he steps forward to meet my challenge. "I'm Falkner, the Violet City Pokémon Gym Leader. I'm a staunch believer in the power of Flying-type Pokémon. They say you can clip a Flying-type's wings with a jolt of electricity, but I believe they are much stronger than that. I won't allow such an insult to them!" He sweeps an arm dramatically at me. "Prepare yourself, challenger! I will show you the true power of the magnificent bird Pokémon! Go, Pidgey!"

Falkner sends out his first Pokémon, Pidgey, and I send out Dizzy. I don't intend for Dizzy to send it to sleep this time; merely to deal some damage and take a few blows before I send in Firebrand. It's a risky strategy, but what isn't? "Dizzy," I call out, "use Bubble!"

To my surprise and delight, Dizzy is able to hold its own against Pidgey, resisting its blows and dishing out powerful Bubble blasts of its own. In the end, Firebrand is not needed: Dizzy dispatches the Pidgey all on its own, though not without taking some punishment in return. "Nice job, Dizzy," I say. "Come back!"

Falkner isn't happy about one of his Pokémon falling. "Not bad," he says. "I guess I don't have to hold back against you, then." He plucks the second Poké Ball from his belt with a smirk. "Go, Pidgeotto!"

This is not good. Pidgeys I could handle, but I'm now up against Pidgey's evolved form. I've come this far, though: I have to try. "Go, Firebrand!" Firebrand bursts from his Poké Ball and immediately lands a strong hit against Pidgeotto. A mere Pidgey would have been crippled by the strike, but Pidgeotto remains standing. This is so not good.

"Pidgeotto, use Gust!" says Falkner. The wind attack catches Firebrand off-guard, and sends it tumbling backwards. Staggering to its feet, Firebrand defiantly launches another Tackle, but again it seems to just bounce off. Pidgeotto sweeps its wings in another Gust attack, sending Firebrand skidding away. "Not bad at all," remarks Falkner. "But your Cyndaquil's attacks are weak."

"Its defences aren't," I retort. "And neither were my preparations." Firebrand, on cue, proceeds to take out a Berry I'd given it beforehand and happily munch it down, restoring its vitality in a jiffy. It then heartily resumes the struggle against Pidgeotto, and after sustaining another strike to its vitals, the bird Pokémon's resistance finally cracks. It lets out a cry of pain and staggers backwards, clearly on its last legs.

"Firebrand," I command, "finish him off!" With its power now peaking, Firebrand forgoes Tackling the Pidgeotto and instead finishes it off with a blast of flame. The exhausted Pidgeotto collapses to the ground, and Falkner is defeated. Victory is mine.

Falkner is left speechless by the defeat at first. "My bird Pokémon…" he mutters in disbelief. After taking a moment to compose himself, he takes a deep breath and smiles at me for the first time. "All right," he says. "It seems like I underestimated you, youngster. Here. Take this." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small badge in the shape of a pair of wings. "It's the official Pokémon League Zephyr Badge," he explains. "This Badge proves that you've defeated my Gym. It will also raise your Pokémon's attack power."

As the thrill of my victory starts to wear off, I take the badge from Falkner and pin it to my lapel. My first Pokémon League Gym Badge. The first of many, I hope. But Falkner is not done with me yet. "Here," he says. "Take this too." He hands me what appears to be a small CD in a case. "This is a Technical Machine, or TM," he explains, sensing my puzzlement. "It can be used to instantly teach your Pokémon a new move, but think carefully before using it - TMs can only be used once. This one contains Mud-Slap, which reduces the opponent's accuracy while dealing damage. It's useful both defensively and offensively."

"I see," I say, taking the TM disc. "Thank you. I'm sure this will come in handy."

Falkner nods. "I assume you are taking the Gym Challenge?" he asks.

"I am indeed," I tell him, as I put the disc away.

"Good," said Falkner. "You should continue to test your skills. As for me…" He recalls his unconscious Pidgeotto and places its Poké Ball back on his belt. "I'm going to keep training to become the world's greatest bird master!"

"Good luck with that," I tell him. "And… thank you."

"You are welcome, trainer," says Falkner. "Now, go. There are gyms all across Johto that are waiting for you."

I nod, and take my leave. As I step outside, the Violet City air tastes that little bit sweeter. Now that I've defeated one Pokémon Gym, my confidence is sky-high. I know I can take the other seven now. It's just a matter of training.

[FOOTNOTES]
¹Yes, I counted.

²It only took me 45 minutes to beat the Gym itself and write the 1400-word summary of its events. I hate grinding.

No comments:

Post a Comment