Friday 4 September 2015

Day 226

[from I Watch You Sleeping]

Compared to the morning homeroom session, the first couple of lessons pass rather uneventfully. During the short break after our second lesson, I decide to go outside to stretch my legs and go to the bathroom. As I head back towards the classroom, something suddenly collides with me with tremendous force, almost knocking me over.

"Aah! Sorry, sorry!" says a voice, that I soon recognize as Meiko's. "I should have known that was going to happen!"

Meiko turns round to face me, looking apologetic and a little embarrassed, and very quickly I realize three things. One, in order for her to have hit me with such force, she must have been running in the corridors, which is against school rules. Two, she's holding her camcorder in one hand, and a compact mirror in the other. She must have been filming something while she was running. Three, in order for her to have had to turn to face me after colliding with me, she must have been running backwards. The first seems normal for the rather energetic Meiko. The second is a bit of a stretch, but running backwards…?

"Are you okay, Ken?" Meiko asks me.

"Why were you running backwards just now?" I blurt out.

"Huh? Hey, I asked you a question first!" says Meiko.

"Yes, Meiko, I'm alright," I reassure her. "Now, why were you-"

"Running backwards?" says Meiko. "I'm experimenting!"

"Experimenting with… what, may I ask?"

Meiko seems pleased by my apparent interest. I wouldn't say I'm interested, per se, more confused. Nonetheless, she immediately launches into an explanation. "Well, you know those scenes in horror movies where the guy's getting chased by the monster through a dark forest or something?" she begins. "There's always a first-person bit where the camera angle looks ahead of him, showing the area he's running through. But I figured, wouldn't it be better to have it looking backwards while he's running? It'd place more emphasis on the fact that he's being chased by something, rather than just the fact that he's fleeing. Also, it'd make it seem like he's looking back over his shoulder at whatever's chasing him, emphasizing how scared of it he is. Add in some extremely fleeting glimpses of the monster - or monsters, or whatever - and you have one scary chase scene."

It really seems like Meiko has thought this theory of hers through. But… "Shouldn't you be testing that theory somewhere scarier, and with less people to bump into?" I ask. "Like a dark forest, for instance?"

"Well, I thought of the idea just now during second period, and I was so excited, I wanted to try it out right away!" says Meiko. "I reckon it'd work… assuming you don't run into anything while filming, of course. But then, that's what I have the compact mirror for." She holds up the mirror. It can't be more than three inches in diameter. There's no way she can see where she's going using that.

"Didn't exactly work, though, did it?" I point out.

Meiko lets out an awkward chuckle, rubbing the back of her neck. "Yeah, I guess not, heh…" She shrugs nonchalantly. "I'll work something out." She always seems so cheerful and carefree, so full of energy. It's like there's caffeine and candy floss flowing through her veins instead of blood. It's weird to think that there's still a chance she's my stalker.

"Well, I hope so," I tell her, "if it'll stop you from running in the corridors. There's rules against that, you know."

"There's rules against running forwards in the corridors," Meiko says with a mischievous grin. "Nobody ever said anything about running backwards!" I shake my head in disbelief at the sheer audacity of Meiko's actions. I don't think I'll ever meet another girl like her for as long as I live.

Before I can lecture Meiko any further, the bell rings to signal the end of break. "Oh crap!" says Meiko suddenly, her face turning pale. "I need to put the camcorder away, and then get to class, pronto! Well, anyway, it was fun talking to you, Ken! See you in class!"


Meiko dashes off, completely ignoring what I'd told her five seconds ago about running in the corridors being against school rules. Well, at least she doesn't run into anyone this time. I, meanwhile, head off for the classroom at a much more leisurely pace, arriving with plenty of time to spare before the bell rings again for the start of our next class.

No comments:

Post a Comment