Friday 5 June 2015

Day 136

[from Cyborg Team Alpha]

"Could I talk to her for a bit?" It was the male speaking this time. Ichiko no longer felt like talking, but he was addressing Gumi, not her.

"Sure," said Gumi. "There's some things you can explain better than I could."

The man stepped forward, placing a hand on the railing at the side of Ichiko's bed. "Ichiko… look at me," he said. He tried to sound gentle, but with the metallic quality of his voice, it sounded more like a harsh whisper. It began to dawn on Ichiko exactly why his voice sounded like it did. Even so, however, she still could not bring herself to face him.

"I can understand if you don't want to look at yourself," the man continued. "Neither did I, at first. But please, at least look at me."

Reluctantly, Ichiko rolled over in bed, wincing a little, to gaze upon the man standing beside her. He was wearing all black, and had short black hair with a piercing gaze. His mouth was covered by a balaclava, but as he pulled it down around his neck, Ichiko saw that his entire lower jaw was constructed from a dull grey metal. She then realized that the hand clutching the bed rail was also bionic: a grey, skeletal model, with the inner workings visible inside. Her first thought was that it was rather disturbing, but then she remembered that her own hands - both of them - were now exactly the same.

"I was also killed by the Rising Sun," said the man. "I found it ironic, in a way. I'd spent three years fighting for this nation, I'd survived the bloodiest conflict of the 21st century, and then a bunch of domestic terrorists go and blow me up. But I was lucky. Professor Toriyama had noticed my potential, and he rebuilt me just as he rebuilt you."

That answered that particular question. This was indeed the Toriyama Institute, and the man who had saved her was indeed Professor Satoshi Toriyama, the inventor of the Cyborg System. But there were still so many other questions left unanswered. "But… why?" she asked. "What potential? What is it about us in particular that… made him…" As her pain began to flare up yet again, Ichiko winces, inhaled sharply, and replaced her oxygen mask, trying to relax.

"Professor Toriyama wants to atone for what his research was used for during the South China War," said the man. "He also wants to protect Tokyo from the new menace of the Rising Sun. To that end, he is putting together a team of gifted Cyborgs to protect the city from acts of terror, as well as other criminal activities. There are already four of us, and you, Ichiko St. Clare, make five. Your intellect, supplemented by the computers built into your bionic eye, will prove invaluable to us."

The man's robotic hand tightened around the bed rail, his expression growing uneasy. "I'm afraid that this is non-negotiable," he continued. "You are obliged to join this task force. I can understand if you don't want to, but at the same time… you can feel it, can't you? The desire to avenge yourself. The desire to stop the Rising Sun from hurting anyone else the way they hurt you. I felt it too, after I learned what had happened to me. In time, we will both get our revenge. The Rising Sun will fall. Trust me on that."

Ichiko nodded. It made sense. A task force made of Cyborgs, even a small one, could solve and prevent crimes much faster and easier than a conventional human task force, what with their robotic augmentations. That being said, Cyborgs were viewed as little more than unethical biological weapons by the vast majority of people, so there was no doubt that people would get in their way. But that can't be helped at this point, thought Ichiko. I'm already a Cyborg. No matter where I go now, or what I do, people will look at me the same way they'd look at a nuclear warhead or a sample of anthrax. If I'm going to be a weapon, I might as well be a weapon of good. If there even is such a thing.

In any case, she thought, he's right. I want to get revenge against Rising Sun for what they've done to me. I want to make it so that nobody else ever has to go through what I have. And not just the dying, but the rebuilding. I'm used to being stigmatized, being half-American, but that's nothing compared to what I'll face now that I'm a Cyborg. I can't blame the professor for rebuilding me, so I'll blame the Rising Sun for making him have to. We can destroy them. Together, we can destroy them. I know it.

Finally, Ichiko removed her oxygen mask, and nodded. "Okay," she said. "I'll join you. Even if I don't have a choice, it's still what I want to do."

The man nodded, and extended his bionic arm towards Ichiko. "My name is Ryuto Murakami," he said. "Welcome to Cyborg Team Alpha."

Ichiko reached up, and for the first time she took notice of her own bionic hand. Sure enough, it was identical to Ryuto's, though a little smaller and slimmer. After a moment's hesitation, she gently took hold of his hand. The sensation in her bionic limbs seemed to have finally kicked in, for she could feel the coldness and hardness of Ryuto's hand in hers. She knew it was only bionic sensors giving her this information, not her own nervous system, but even so, the sensations in her robotic fingertips were as real as though she had never lost her hand at all. If not for the steel-grey, skeletal appearance of the prosthetic, poking out from beneath her bed sheets like a ghastly wraith, she could forget that it wasn't the real thing.

"Thank you, Ryuto," she said, shaking his hand. "You too, Gumi. And, also… if you could… please bring Professor Toriyama here, so I can thank him personally. He did save my life, after all… in a manner of speaking."

Ryuto nodded, his half-metal mouth twisting into something that may have been a smile. "Of course," he said. "I imagine he'll want to see you as well; he'll be glad to know that the reconstruction was a success."

"He's over in his office," said Gumi. "I'll go and fetch him."


 Ryuto nodded, and Gumi left the room. As she did so, Ichiko noticed that her footsteps sounded rather metallic, and a little heavy. From this, she could surmise that Gumi had, at the very least, had her feet replaced. She had, after all, mentioned that she was also a Cyborg. Ichiko couldn't help wondering for a moment what had happened to her, and what the full extent of her rebuild was, but she knew better than to ask. It was most likely a touchy subject, and she didn't want to pry into the personal history of a woman she'd only met five minutes ago. Instead, she replaced her oxygen mask and closed her one remaining normal eye, resting a little while she waited for the professor to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment