Thursday 26 March 2015

Day 85

[from The Ballad of Conor Stewart]

"So previously, the Monaco Grand Prix had had less places on the starting grid than every other race, because of how tight and twisty it was. Prior to '87, only 20 cars were able to qualify. Starting in '87, however, you had a full grid of 26 cars there. Only 28 showed up, and one of 'em got disqualified after crashing into Alboreto at Beau Rivage, so we were pretty much guaranteed a place on the starting grid. Pretty lucky, really, because if we'd started in '86, or they hadn't had that rule change, then we probably wouldn't have made it. Sure enough, we both qualified, me in twenty-first and Allen in twenty-fourth. He retired, but I came through in eleventh, ahead of the Ligiers, which was pretty good.

"I'll skip forward a bit now. Detroit was technically our home race, being an American team, but we both retired from that: my gearbox went, and Allen slammed into the barriers. Hildebrand wasn't too impressed, but there wasn't much we could've done about it. At France I retired again - my engine went that time - but Allen came through in seventh, behind Palmer, for our best-ever result up to that point. Now that might sound impressive, but I think only eight cars finished that race, so it really wasn't." Conor chuckled. "But hey, we were getting onto the grid for each race, we were fighting with the Tyrrells to be the best of the naturally-aspirated cars, so for our first season in F1, we weren't really doing all that badly. You look at the other naturally-aspirated teams that season - AGS, March, Larrousse - we were grinding their faces into the dirt each and every weekend.

"At Silverstone I finished eighth - again, out of only nine, but that time it meant I was the fastest of all the naturally-aspirated cars. Even if only two of them actually finished, but still, a prize is a prize. Now, for that season only, the FIA had side competitions for the naturally-aspirated runners: the Jim Clark Trophy for drivers, and the Colin Chapman Trophy for constructors. So as I was the fastest naturally-aspirated driver that day, I basically got a trophy for finishing second-from-last, which was amusing to say the least. It's probably still in my cabinet somewhere, actually.

 "Next race was Germany, at Hockenheim. Gotta say, I hate what they've done with the place. I loved the old Hockenheim, all those long, sweeping straights… alright, maybe it wasn't the safest place in the world, but it was a great circuit to race on. Blasting down a kilometre-long straight at 200 miles an hour, with another car right beside you…  you just don't get that anymore. It's sad that you guys will never get to drive that circuit, it was fantastic.

"Anyway, enough gushing about Hockenheim… Germany '87 was where we scored our first point. Not me, sadly… I was one of, like, fifteen people whose engines blew up during the race. Made it to about the halfway point, and suddenly there's flames coming out the back and I'm like, shit! Pull up! Pull up! Pulled over, got out, and that was my race run. Was I upset that Allen went on to finish sixth and get our first points? A little. But at the same time, I thought, well, if he can do it, so can I. I'll just have to wait for that opportunity.

"That was the halfway point of the season, and by that point I'd gotten a feel for the car. I knew how to get the most out of it. At the next race, in Hungary, I qualified fifteenth, my best grid position to date. That was when people started to take notice of me. Our car wasn't as good as the Tyrrell, but there I was, right alongside them on the grid. Then at the next race in Austria, I qualified highest out of all the non-turbo cars, while Allen failed to qualify at all. As for the race… well, that was pretty damn crazy.

"At the first start, three different people crashed, though I managed to avoid that particular carnage. Second time round, I wasn't that lucky. Someone got away slowly at the front, the whole grid condensed, and then a couple of people ploughed into each other and that just sparked a chain-reaction. Before I can really do anything, I'm sandwiched between Alex Caffi and Christian Danner, my front wheels have come off, and I'm sliding into the gravel trap with the rest of them. Now, this was back in the days when they still had spare cars - they don't anymore, so if a big first-lap pile-up like that happens again, you're looking at a race with only fourteen cars at the restart, which is just silly, in my opinion.

"Anyway, by the time the race truly got underway, it should already have finished. When it finally was over, without any more drama on my end, I was eleventh, and won another nice trophy for being the fastest of the non-turbos. By that point, I was happy with where I was. I was battling to be second in the overall Jim Clark Trophy - there was no way I was gonna beat Palmer, his lead was too big by that point - and I was getting some good results.

"After the race, I actually had a chat with Ayrton Senna - I knew him through his team-mate Satoru Nakajima, who like I've said before, was a great bloke. Now, at that time, Senna was starting to think that his future prospects at Lotus weren't all that good; he'd won two races that season, but those turned out to be the last races Lotus ever won, and by that point Williams were dominating. So we got into a discussion about it, and he was like, well, every driver wants to win races, and win championships, so if moving teams will help me do that, then I'll do it. I was like, yeah, you're lucky in that regard, you've got a reputation already. You could walk into any team you wanted, whereas if I left Hildebrand, finding a better drive next year would be hell. He said, well, you can hardly get a worse drive, can you?" Conor chuckled as he remembered. "I actually could've done, to be fair, but only barely.


"Anyway, after that, he said something that stuck with me for a while afterwards. He said, from what I've seen of you in practice, you're a pretty good driver. If you were in the Lotus, you'd be scoring a decent amount of points. Now, I wasn't too sure, but he was like, trust me, you're good. With the right car, you'd be right up there. And that stuck with me. I realized I'd become complacent: I was like, yeah, I'm at the back of the grid, and that's fine with me, but it wasn't, really. Senna was right, all racing drivers want to win, they want to be in a position where they can win. And not just class victories, which was what I'd been getting so far with the Jim Clark Trophy: actual, overall victories. Getting to stand on that top step and drink the champagne. I wanted that. I wasn't gonna get it at Hildebrand, but if I drove my nuts off, like Senna had done when he drove for Toleman, I'd build up that reputation and be able to get a drive at a team that could give me that opportunity. I already felt comfortable in the car, I knew what I was capable of, so I decided to just go for it."

No comments:

Post a Comment