Sunday 1 March 2015

Day 60

[from The Ballad of Conor Stewart]


"Okay, so, where was I?"

"You were about to tell us about your first season," said Saarinen.

"Ah, yes, that's right," said Conor. "Okay, so… Brazil '87 would've been my first F1 race. You can imagine I was a bit nervous going into it. I'd done all the testing, I'd done the practice mileage, but now I was actually going to race the thing. As luck would have it, there were only, I think, 25 entrants that day, so at least I didn't have to worry about making the grid - there was no 107% rule in those days, of course, so all you had to do was actually set a quali lap and you were on the grid, no questions asked. Mind you, with the gulf between the turbos and non-turbos, a 107% rule wouldn't exactly have been fair.

"Now, Allen, of course, had a bit more F1 experience than I did, and he'd driven the circuit before, whereas I hadn't, so he gave me a few pointers on the best lines to take. I took in the tips, did my best during the practice sessions, went out for qualifying, and ended up 20th, with Allen 22nd. Can't remember how many non-turbos there were on the grid that day… five, maybe six? ….but we were slap-bang in the middle of 'em. From our point of view, that was the important thing: we weren't racing the turbos, except for the slower ones like Zakspeed and Osella. We were racing the other non-turbos.

"So I lined up on the starting grid, for my first-ever F1 race. I remember I was alongside Martin Brundle, in his Zakspeed, and as the flag dropped - it was a flag in those days, not five lights - when the flag dropped, I actually got a better start than him, and managed to get past him for a bit until his turbo kicked in and he went straight back past me. Funnily enough, though, he retired on lap 15 when his turbo gave out. Allen retired as well… I, uhh, I think his engine blew up. I don't remember exactly, but there was a lot of smoke coming out of his car when I drove past it, so it was either an engine problem or some kinda oil leak.

"I actually finished the race. Now, I've probably said that the cars in those days were difficult to drive, but actually, the Hildebrand wasn't all that difficult once I'd gotten the hang of it. Yeah, it was slow, but that made it all the more easy to handle. It was a good beginner's car, I think. I think if I'd leapt in at the deep end, with a turbo team like Brabham, I probably would've struggled more in that first season than I did with Hildebrand in the end. So while it wasn't a great first season in terms of results, it was excellent in terms of allowing me to find my feet in F1. So if you guys can only get offered a race seat at, say, Marussia or Caterham, don't just assume it's below you and turn it down. Any experience is good experience, and many of the sport's greats started out at the bottom like I did. Fernando Alonso, for example. He started out at Minardi, and look how he turned out.

"Anyway, uhh… I finished 12th out of 13 finishers at that first race in Brazil. Nearly finished 11th, but Streiff in his Tyrrell leapfrogged me at the final round of stops. I wasn't sure how to feel about the result, really. On the one hand, I'd at least finished, and I hadn't really been expecting to do that well in the first place. On the other hand, no matter how you look at it, I was second from last. I wasn't looking forward to my prospects for the season. I chatted to a couple of the other guys about it and they basically all said, well, you've only just started. Get some experience under your belt, get some good results, and if you prove yourself, then it'll all fall into place in the end. So I figured, alright then, might as well tough it out. Got nothing to gain from giving up after only one race.

"Things stayed like that for a while. By Imola, there were now enough entrants that some people weren't going to qualify. Nelson Piquet crashed during practice, had to sit out the race, and that took the pressure off a little, and in the end both me and Allen qualified. I finished 11th out of 14, helped by a couple of cars running out of fuel but still getting classified, and Berg retired again. At Belgium it was my turn to retire, after my gearbox gave out, and Allen finished 10th out of 11. Then came the big one: my first Monaco Grand Prix.

"I'd never been to Monaco before, never raced that circuit, but of all the races on the calendar that year, that was the one I was looking forward to the most. That, and my home race at Adelaide. When we got there, I must've spent hours just wandering around, taking it all in. It was weird, though, 'coz I mean, a couple of the guys actually lived there, like a lot of 'em do now, they knew the people and the places and everything. They'd be stopping their neighbours on the street and having a chat with them. The famous guys, like Senna, Berger, Prost, they were constantly getting stopped and asked for photos and autographs and shit. I didn't get stopped once. Nobody knew who the hell I was!" Conor chuckled, grinning fondly. "I dunno if I preferred it like that, or the constant autograph requests I got after I moved to Ferrari. They both had their perks, if I'm honest, but they were both pretty annoying. At that time, I wanted to be known like the others. By '95, I was walking down the street wishing nobody knew who I was still!" He chuckled again. "Yeah, good times, though.


"Hildebrand managed to book rooms for me and Allen at the Monte-Carlo Bay Hotel and Resort. Oh, man, it was the best fucking hotel I'd ever slept in. I felt like a king. It was at that point - standing on the balcony of my room, looking out at the Monte Carlo sunset - it was then that I thought, I can't give this up. What does it matter if I'm finishing second-from-last every race, and struggling to even get on the grid? This is the greatest ride I've ever been on, and I'm being paid to take it. I'll be damned if I'm getting off."

No comments:

Post a Comment