Tuesday 19 May 2015

Day 118

[from StarLight]


"I know your secret, Sanae Hikari!"

The accusation came out of nowhere, as Sanae was innocently making her way through the corridors to have lunch. For a moment, she legitimately panicked that somebody had discovered she was White Star. Then she realized it was just Kazuo, who probably had another of his insane theories to throw at her. "Oh?" she asked sarcastically. "And what secret would that be?"

"You are White Star!" declared Kazuo, pointing dramatically at Sanae.

Once again, Sanae panicked for a moment before realizing that this was still Kazuo making the accusation. It was likely that his reasoning was complete nonsense, and that he'd arrived at a correct deduction completely by accident. And in any case, nobody ever believed a word he said. Even so…

"Don't be so ridiculous," said Sanae, chuckling nervously. "What on earth makes you think that?"

"Your hair!" bellowed Kazuo, holding up a blown-up photo of White Star that he had printed out. It was rather pixelated, but White Star's purple hair was clearly visible. "Your hair is the same colour, and roughly the same length as White Star's!"

"Wait, that's your proof?" asked Sanae, amused. "That's your entire proof that I'm White Star? I don't know what I was expecting, to be honest, but come on, you have to admit that that's pretty flimsy."

"Do you deny it?" asked Kazuo, his glasses glinting dangerously. "Do you deny being White Star?"

Sanae rolled her eyes, and decided to play along with Kazuo's games for once. Nobody would believe him anyway. "Okay, you got me," she said sarcastically, holding her hands up in mock surrender. "I'm White Star."

"Aha!" declared Kazuo, jabbing his finger at Sanae. "You admitted it!" Turning to the nearest people, a pair of first-years who really couldn't have cared less, Kazuo shouted, "Did you hear that? She just admitted she was White Star!"

"No I didn't," said Sanae innocently.

"Yes you did!" said Kazuo, before scrambling to retrieve something from his jacket. "I can prove it, see? I caught it on tape!"

"That's a granola bar," said Sanae blankly, pointing to Kazuo's outstretched hand.

"Huh? Oh, so it is," said Kazuo, as he caught sight of the green-wrapped bar held in his hand. Shrugging, he unwrapped it and took a bite. "But mark my words, Sanae," he mumbled through a mouthful of granola, "I will prove that you are White Star, just as I will prove that the American President is actually a Martian bent on world domination! Hey, this is a pretty good granola bar." Kazuo took another bite. "I will expose your secrets, Sanae Hikari!"

"Yeah, good luck with that," said Sanae.

"Thank you," said Kazuo, the sarcasm going right over his head. "But for now, I must investigate why I only got 28% on my latest science test. I suspect that the teacher is secretly an Illuminati clone."

"Or maybe you're just an idiot," muttered Sanae.

"What was that?" asked Kazuo.

"I said you might be right about that," said Sanae. "You go investigate that, okay?"

"Alright," said Kazuo. "I'll see you later, Sanae… or should I say, White Star!" With that, Kazuo attempted to make a dramatic exit, but the impact was lessened somewhat by the half-eaten granola bar still hanging out of his mouth.

"What was that all about?" asked Amaya, as he hurried up to Sanae; she had been in the bathroom until now.

"Just another one of Kazuo's crazy theories," said Sanae. "Don't listen to him."


"I never do," said Amaya. "So, shall we head up to the roof, then?"

"Of course!" said Sanae.

2 comments:

  1. Alright. This brings up something that always confuses me about secret identity stuff. I'm curious to see how you'll handle it. I can understand the point of keeping your identity secret to protect those close to you, but surely there's no harm in telling said people.
    (Her parents probably know already though...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rationale in this series is, if she reveals her secret identity, she'll be besieged with people asking her to do things for them and celebrity interviews and all kinds of other things, and she'll have no time to actually save Mitsuzawa from monsters. Like that one SpongeBob episode where he uses inflatable pants to fly but gets tired out by people constantly asking him for favours.

      Delete